Monday 18 April 2016

End of module evaluation

Within this module I believe it is fair to suggest that my final products could have been pushed a lot further in order to curate more visually aesthetic designs. Although stating this I feel that the process in which I went through to develop my final pieces has given me a greater insight into the structure of a book, and will help me develop more sought after pieces next year.

From completing the module I have gathered a greater insight into design principals, an influence that will back my future design. Theorists such as Vignelli have been explored with a main focus being on that of readability, a design component in which I must master if I want to be involved with corporate design. Grid work has also been an influence within the last few months with my leaflet and book expressing a guided structure. Colour theory has also been widely expressed, a factor in which I feel has become embedded within all my design, as I no longer think of colour for aesthetic purposes but rather for that of conceptual.

The workshop in which I found most insightful was that of the bookbinding, as if I am to be involved within editorial design factors such as construction must be considered. From my trail and error book bind I believe to have gathered a strong insight into the way in which books may be binded, and influences behind them. I have also came to the realization that every component within a design should be informed, this including the bind itself. This has been explored within the second brief as my intended bind was that of Japanese fold, a bind which in turn could have been manipulated to format that of a Celtic pattern for the welsh based book.

If I were to redevelop this project there are some key areas in which I would focus upon more directly. Firstly, I believe that my time management could have been much stronger and that this module got pushed behind others to conform to the hierarchy of deadlines. As I felt that this also occurred within the Personal Professional Practice module, (PPP), I will next year be more aware of deadlines in order to stop myself becoming over stressed a month before submission.

The second factor that I would like to discuss is booking printing slots, as I had to visit drop in twice in order to get my leaflet finalized, a factor in which took up valuable time in which I could have spent analyzing my outcome. Thus at the beginning of second year I will make bookings around the time of each submission, in order to minimize stress.

Taking influence from this module I will next year explore further with that of grid work, and theorists in order to develop contextual, informed design that appears aesthetically pleasing. I will also look more in depth at colour, and conduct my own research into psychology theorists surrounding design, a factor in which I believe will help me to develop design in which people are interested.



No comments:

Post a Comment