Tuesday 26 April 2016

First approaches (hand)

Following my drawings I began to develop purely physical designs as I wanted to gather a greater understanding of the embelishment rather than the traditional printing method in which will accompany it. The sewed effect is impactive and explores a personal approach towards my design, although the sewing process itself takes a relatively long time when exploring detail.










As I wanted to explore with the idea of etching on to a spray pained piece I began to think about ways in which I would be able to effectively present this. I decided to use a plastic sheet, approximately 5 times stronger than acetate, in order to capture the effect in which the spray paint expresses. Although I liked the idea behind the piece I felt the final result to appear childish and immature, two factors in which I believe wouldn't allow it to appear strongly within the exhibition. I also came to the realisation that as the design is developed on plastic I would not be able to use traditional printing methods as the ink would not set, and thus this design does not correspond effectively to the brief. 





Following my templates developed on C.A.D I explored the usage of spray paints in different formats. As the skyline maintained intricate details it was difficult to express clearly, as spray painting is a method in which needs to be based around a clear, large stencil. Due to this I believe that my design cannot be expressed effectively in this format, and thus if I wanted to continue with this design I would have to use other methods i.e. screen print. 










I then explored the idea of layering pieces of the Queens siloutte onto card. As this was my first attempt at developing this style I believe that the general structure and cutting could be expressed much more sharply. The colours green and blue were chosen as green is easily identifiable to money, and blue to that of elegance a factor in which the Queen highly expresses. If I were to develop this design further I would experiment with laser cutting as i feel it would express a cleaner design.

No comments:

Post a Comment