Thursday 28 April 2016

Building poster

When exploring type I looked specifically at typefaces in which I felt expressed femininity. By this I mean typefaces in which express slants, a handwritten style and curves. Personally I believe that these appear much more feminine than that of serif fonts. 


 This typeface is playful and well balanced. The text flows easily, a factor in which expresses conversation flowing when in a relaxed environment. The only downfall to this font is that as it was off DAFONT the owner had not made capitals to coincide with the lower case, and thus I am unable to use it. Although this is a shame I would prefer to gather a typeface in which uses the correct punctuation rather than one that conforms to the needs met.   


When thinking about cocktails, I believe that they have some forms of French nostalgia about them and thus I looked at what may be referred to as fancy french restaurant types. This expressing embellished serifs. Although I like the individual letterforms I feel that when put together they feel far too over powering and thus I decided not to use this typeface within my design. 


The format in which these typefaces follow is very similar as they both express all letterings the same, this limiting the x height. Due to this I believe that these typefaces appear very immature, and would be placed upon that of a child's publication. Due to this I have decided not to include these typefaces within my design.


I began to explore with the layout of the design ensuring that there was equal space present between each design. I felt this an important factor as I didn't want the design to appear immature and thus not target the correct audience. 





After consideration of type I decided upon the typeface in which is expressed above. I came to this conclusion as I felt that the typeface is not only feminine but also expresses that of a friendly atmosphere. The typeface is much clearer than the initial in which I wanted to use, a factor in which I believe helps promote legibility.




The type was firstly expressed through that of flush left, a format in which I didn't want to include due to the already strict nature of the cocktails. Due to this I then explored with the centralising of the text a factor in which I felt allowed the design to be perceived as more playful.



As I felt my design explored too much white space I explored with dividing the page through a line format, this being a factor in which I felt worked very well, especially as it then premoted legibility. 



Composition was then explored with more intricate designs appearing next to weaker. I did this in order to balance the deisgn and ensure that one part of my design wasn't more visually interesting than another.



Following my feedback I then included the drinkaware logo, this then making my design considerate to those struggling with their drinking habits. A tag line was also expressed within a friendly nature, I decided upon the loose typeface for this in order to express myself as a student warning them about the mishaps of student life. 

Following the highlighted approach I began to explore ways in which the text may be expressed.


In order to create a quirky student feel amongst the title I slanted the highlight. Not only does this promote playfulness within the deisgn but it also draws in the consumers attention.

Colour was explored, but I felt that the light green appealed far more to that of a female demographic. 


As the guides present are only that of the ingredients I felt it important to involve a 'shake well' phrase upon the design. This was done in the informal typefaces as I wanted to promote a positive attitude. 


The above image depicts my final idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment