Thursday 7 April 2016

Werewolves illustations

When rereading the story surrounding welsh werewolves, I decided that there would be two approaches I could take, either that of the North Wales landscape, or that of the protagonist. As I have previously mentioned that the sentiment of using a protagonist limits the viewer's imagination, I decided to focus primarily on the landscape in which the tale was set.

The general iconography described was that of  hills, fields and a farm house. Due to this I decided to look at some images that mimic this iconography already.





From these images I then began to correlate some initial sketches surrounding how the designs may appear.


The sketches followed that of a simple block colour format following the style of Kyffin, an illustrator who is prominently known within Wales. A vast majority of approaches were explored, with concentration being on that of the isolated atmosphere in which the farmhouse is surrounded. 

When asking my peers about which design appeared strongest they suggested that the one in which focused largely on the farmhouse would be effective, as the story frequently mentions the abode. As this was the vast response I decided to push the design further using CAD.


Following my sketches, I began to build up a landscape from that of block colours. Although minimal in design, the illustration clearly highlights the desolate atmosphere in which the farmhouse was positioned, in turn making the consumer feel uneasy. 

I explored the colour palette, looking at both vibrant and neutral colour schemes. Due to the context in which this illustration is resembling, I feel that the more subdued palettes are more representative of the dark nature of this tale. And thus I decided upon the first colour variation. 


The grey sky highly mimicking darkness and bad weather, two pieces of iconography that are often consumed with dark mystical tales.


No comments:

Post a Comment