Friday 1 April 2016

Welsh typefaces

As Welsh may be referred to as a niche language with only two countries Wales and Patagonia ( the Chubut province of Argentina) speaking the dialect, not all typefaces maintain the correct characteristics in order to display the Welsh typeface correctly. Due to this I began some research into typefaces in which effectively communicate the language.



Although there are specific celtic fonts, I wanted to stay away from traditional celtic design and thus look more at modernist style fonts.  



I began my research by reading the above article in which suggested some of the strongest fonts that express the welsh language. Using this article as my main influence I began to explore with typefaces such as Garamond premier pro and Franklin Gothic. 

I found that the Garamond typeface expressed an alternative variation to that of Times New Roman, and worked exceptionally well as body copy. Whereas Franklin Gothic was a strong sans serif in which works well as both display and body copy. Although I felt that these typefaces worked well I wanted some form of sentiment behind the type in which expressed it as a typeface in which would appeal to a modern audience and thus took a further look into other typefaces in which support welsh.

When researching individual types I came across Alegreya. Being produced in 2012 the typeface is somewhat new and as it successfully balances some risky stylistic choices with solid technique, resulting in a delightful mixture of classic type and the playfulness. As this is a sentiment in which I wanted my book to express, my heart was set on this typeface. 

With consideration towards legibility, I decided upon the sans for titles, and a sans serif for body copy, in turn allowing the title to appear impactive and the body copy to be easily read. I also thought about sizing, titles being 24pt, and body copy 12pt. I did this in order to promote legibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment