Sunday 3 April 2016

Front cover experiments


Following my drawings I began to explore some approaches surrounding how the book cover may be approached.



My first approach involved that of a simplistic celtic cross. The design involved no text as the title would be represented upon the spine of the book. I feel that the nature of this deisgn is not effective as I personally feel that it doesn't communicate the relevant information correctly.






To begin my own 'Hobbit' style photography, I combined both an illustration and photograph to create a mystical appearing image. I felt that the black and white approach appeared much more realistic and thus positioned the audience to feel as if they are witnessing this first hand. These approaches would also include text, a factor in which I will discuss within the crit. 


This approach explores the usage of text and imagery in a mythical format. The colour palette used expresses adventure and the Unknown. Two factors in which I wanted my floor to resemble. I like the square box idea, but feel that the type needs to be experimented with further.

In order to give context towards my castle idea, I collected some further research. I discovered that there's a castle for every 7,000 people in Wales-the highest population to castle ratio in the world. I still like the castle approach but I would definitely consider using different castles. 


I again used a box approach but this time made it centre of attention. Although the text would be altered, I felt that this approach created an enigma. 

As previous photography used was not my own, I decided to explore using some of my own imagery. This approach appealed a lot more to me than the imagery of others.


Within this approach I developed my own imagery based on landscape artist kyffin. This modernist approach expresses the current up to date atmosphere in which I wanted to gather in order to target a younger audience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment