Friday 14 October 2016

New society Book publishers

As I believe it is important to not develop a large carbon footprint as a designer I wanted to explore ways in which my book could be created with a less economical impact than that of others. Although I understand that this is a one of book, I believe it is good practice to consider such factors especially if this is to be an area in which I focus in the future.To begin my research I looked for publishing houses that promptly focus on developing eco books.

New society Book publishers

Aims as a company:

-Printing all our books on 100% post-consumer recycled FSC-certified paper, using vegetable-based, low-VOC inks

-Using only 100% post-consumer recycled FSC-certified paper in our office
Making all of our frontlist and as much as our backlist as possible available through ourebook program

-Educating readers about minimizing the impacts of their digital devices through ourGuide to Responsible Digital Reading

-Producing a “paperless” PDF catalog and encouraging endorsers and reviewers to accept our titles in electronic form

-Offsetting our emissions to make all of our business operations carbon neutral.
Becoming a Certified B Corporation®


From looking at this publishing house it became obvious that the most effective way to develop an environmentally book would be through paper and ink. Although I realise that the universities do not stretch to vegetable inks, this is definitely a route in which I would consider at industry level. Thus for the meanwhile I believe that environmentally friendly paper is the best way forward.  This will be explored further within my production.







No comments:

Post a Comment