Saturday 15 October 2016

book structures

As I was really unsure about which book structure to try, I decided to look at other books in order to gather a basis of ideas. I also believe that seeing these binding methods in context would be extremely helpful, in turn giving me a sense of the atmosphere each book gives off. 




This structure explores ways in which books may be contained within a box, not only does this protect the book, but also works greatly when there are a series of books. Appearing prominent on the shelf this book design is easily identifiable, although I believe it's bulky, formal nature does not appeal to that of a younger audience. 




Being built from a coptic stitch, this design explores multiple stocks, a factor in which makes it appeal from a far distance. The binding method is strong, concise and adds an extra design element to that of the consumer. Multiple patterns may also be explored, a factor in which I believe to be highly influencing within design decisions.  


Using an insert cover is an innovative way in which to address that of a design conscious audience. Giving an extra dimension to design, this book cover explores ways in which the underlying cover may be explored.


Japanese binding is a method in which is not just durable, but beautiful. Although not applying to my concept I believe that this design may be used within future projects on mine, due to its sheer elegance. 


Size and  shape is also a factor in which I must consider further within my project, it is important that I do this before making any mock ups in order to ensure they coincide with one another and work effectively. 


Concertina folds are highly effective and can work specifically well when displaying photography. Although this style may appear difficult to read masses of text, this would also leave the consentina being very long,  a factor in which will discourage the consumer. 


In innovative approach to a sleve. This design explores ways in which to protect a book's design, as well as creating a well informed, beautiful cover. 


Industrial clips are a great way in which to promote design in which contains an industrial feel. Although I believe this may be able to express both Leeds and Manchester within my design, I feel that the method itself is not very secure/durable and thus I have decided not to use a similar approach. 


No comments:

Post a Comment