Saturday 15 October 2016

Fridays Crit (concept and production)

In preparation for the crit I collected some of my imagery and notes surrounding what ideas I had so far. Being in groups of 8 we had plenty of time to discuss concepts and relating ideas- this allowing for a more in depth discussion than previously.

One of the main focuses was how I am going to make my book different from 'all the over graffiti books' out there, by developing a unique selling point. This may be an area in which I research further when looking at the book's aesthetic. Although it was noted that the type element to the book allows it to appeal as a niche product.

When discussing the demographic key points were made to how my book may explore social medias, with suggestions being made to include a hashtag in which others may used when collecting their own photography of graffiti.

Other ideas included that of a similar design to that of 'Arrels' developed by Hey studio. A book in which is torn to express type. It was discussed that within my context a similar approach may be taken in order to express street art, and the demographic in which participates in it. I found this idea highly influencing, and believe that a similar style may be explored within my own work.




Another idea was to let young people write on the book's cover, making each book a unique piece. It was suggested that paint pens may be used in order to form street art, and issues on the books front. It was also suggested that this should be expressed through social media in order to connect to that of a younger demographic. In a form of celebration to 'right here right now'.

When discussing sizing, it was suggested that I should visit the library and find books in which I liked the size of, and felt appropriate, and then measure them. The only downfall is that of the hard cover, and if they are only developed in specific sizes. I will ask the technicians in bookbinding about this in my pre-booked session next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment