Sunday 23 October 2016

Layout Considerations

Every letter of the alphabet will not be incorporated within the book's design as this would cause a sense of restriction, with the letter becoming the main focus of each piece rather than the issue behind each image. This also means that the individual letterform will not be expressed upon the page.

As the book's page count changed from that of 36 to 48, considerations had to be made upon how the book will be formulated. One key factor when deciding upon this was to contain a double page spread for the imagery and text, this also making it easier for the consumer to navigate. 


It was concluded that 17 double page spreads would be used in order to express the imagery and individual analysis for each. This meaning that 34 pages would be used for the main content. As another 14 pages now had to be added to the book it was considered whether the two cities images should be divided by a double page spread including the city's name. Initially I felt this to be a point in which I explore myself with graffiti. It was also decided that a content page would be used in order to inform the consumer. 


As there was still spare pages to be used I decided to ask my peers about ways in which they would tackle this. 

Suggestions made included:

  • A dedication page
  • Index
  • Contents
  • and spare pages in order to protect and construct the book.
It was also discussed whether the images should be be separated into different cities, with the main response being no, due to the main concept of the book supporting northern cities not segregating them. It was also suggested that if I didn't want my book to be completely digitally produced I could write my own page numbers.


No comments:

Post a Comment