Thursday 23 February 2017

Deciding on a collaborative group

When initially looking for a group for collaboration I decided that I would like to work with an individual who I did not previously know. I was unsure upon how many individuals in which I would like to work with, but two other students (one animation, one illustration) felt most appropriate, as I believed this would allow me to exploit my full potential.

On the collaboration day, a divide seemed somewhat present between courses, with many individuals collaborating with their own discipline. Although stating this, I became chatting to an illustration student who suggested we should collaborate. Although her style felt very different to my own, I felt that they could coincide alongside one another to embed a strong design. As she did not want to work with an animator, it was decided that we would collaborate on our own.

When arranging to meet a couple of days later, it became evident that her time management was very  weak, with myself arranging meeting and her canceling last minute. When we finally got round to discussing briefs, it became evident that she only wanted to complete the UK Greetings brief. As I had already completed this brief and didn't believe it would be beneficial to develop a second, we decided that it would be more beneficial to find a new group.

As a week had passed since the original collaboration 'speed dating', it became evident that the majority of individuals had gained groups. A further 'speed dating' was held in room 103 whereby the vast majority of participants were graphic deisgn, with around 3 other individuals from different disciplines.  As I now knew that I did not want to develop another range for UK Greetings, this limited who I could work with.

Megan, a second year animator, who I previously knew was looking for a collaboration partner. Although she already had a partner off graphic design, Dom, she wanted to add more individuals to the group. I was really apprehensive around joining this group, as I live with Dom and previously knew Megan and thus felt as if I was not pushing the boundaries. After around 3 hours of attempting to find a collaboration partner, I decided that Megan's group was the best option for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment