Thursday 18 February 2016

Wood


Following a similar approach to that of the spray paint, I embarked on developing a silhouette, wood style piece, in order to express the musicians in which were neglected to be mentioned as the songs composers. 


In order to express the other musicians present within the making of the song, I focused upon expressing wood based instruments. In order to do this I firstly cut a silhouette out of brown paper, a process in which I felt wasn't overly successful.  



I explored with cardboard, which although much more durable didn't maintain the wood based feel in which I wanted. I then painted the cardboard but still felt that the design somewhat lacked in aesthetic. Due to this I then looked online, in order to get card in which mimicked wood.



In order to develop this design I scapaled Etta's silhouette out of the wood based card and then placed this upon another piece. As I have not previously scalpaled many designs I found this a tricky process and thus it took a larger time that it should have. The design also expressed scratches whereby the scalpal had slipped. This is definitely an area I would improve upon if I had more time.


I decided upon the wood theme due to its relationship with the wood based instruments in which acompany Etta within the iconic song. After scanning in the design I decided to alter it, making the design appear 3D. Although I may have sent the design off physically, I decided that an online approach would be most suiting as the paper in which I had bought did not go up to an A3 size and thus I would have been unable to make the sleeve. This left me with some difficulties as I felt the scanned approach did not appear three dimensional, and thus this was a task in which I set myself.




I experimented with the blur tool in an attempt to make the design appear 3D, although this semi worked I felt that the design lacked colour, and thus began an approach in which altered the woods base colour.



I felt a deeper approach looked far more effective as it mimicked the wood based instruments more effectively, as well as making the design appear more 3D.






















As I had liked the phrase 'funky testifying' previously, and I felt that it may work within this context I decided to explore with type. I used a serif typeface in order to convey the history behind the song and the heritage in which it resembles. I explored with multiple compositions but felt the design in which captured the text within the silhouette appeared most effectively, as it balanced the piece effectively.






As I was unsure which design to send off to the secret 7 composition, I decided that the above two would be most effective, one with type and one without.

The concept of this piece determines its importance, as it has strong connotations to the wood based instruments which integrate with Etta's leading vocal to determine the songs impactful nature. The merging of both Etta and wood forms within this piece convey the sentiment that a song is not built primarily of vocals, and that a songs melody is a highly important factor. Thus rising the other composers who correlated with Etta to be acknowledged as producers of this lifelong classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment