Thursday 18 February 2016

Monoprint




I developed some initial drawings in order to gather a greater insight surrounding the way in which I wanted the monoprint to be formed.




By both reversing and overlapping the text, it appears somewhat illegible, a design flaw in which I would not like to express through my album cover.  


During experimentation I accidently reversed this design, and thus the words appear backwards. The typeface also does not work effectively on its own due to its rough aesthetic and thus during following designs will appear layered.


Not enough ink was applied when developing this print, a factor in which is obvious due to the grained effect upon the lettering.


As I had previously used C.A.D extensively within my designs I felt that it would be appropriate to experiment with other methods of printmaking. I borrowed the concept from that of the overlapping C.A.D piece and began to experiment with monoprint. Instead of conjoining the letters, like I had previously done, I decided to layer the words upon each other, experimenting with composition and colour. By doing this process it formed multiple outcomes, in which would not have been derived if I had purely used C.A.D.

A san serif typeface was developed in order to exhibit independence, strength and legibility. It is obvious to suggest that design 1 appears somewhat illegible due to the reversing of the overlapped stencil, and thus I then began to embark on a minimal design following an alternative format. Design 2, is simplistic yet thought provoking, although accidentally reversed, I feel that the design expresses a new more intriguing sentiment. As my previous design pieces didn't expresses the lively nature of music, and Etta's soulful voice I decided to experiment with impact colours. Red and Yellow were primarily used within these designs due to the highlighted approach in which the yellow exhibits. Highlighting the importance of the chosen phrase.

One of the main concepts behind the process used was that it was a dominant print method during the time in which Etta was most successful. Although I enjoyed experimenting with this processes I believe that the designs are somewhat messy, and illegible. Screen printing would definitely be  a better option in which to experiment with type, although as I have not yet had my induction, I am unable to explore the processes, and thus this is something I would like to achieve within following projects.

As I am still unsure surrounding which approach to take further, I will definitely take these designs to the critique in order to gather informed feedback.


A black background was also added in order to allow the text to effectively stand out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment