Wednesday 24 February 2016

Leaflet (b&w multiple patterns)


Looking closely at my research I began to explore with shape and line extensively, focusing upon the way in which multiple patterns may be positioned together in order to derive something in which makes the consumer feel somewhat uneasy. I personally prefered designs in  which involved multiple patterns, from dots to zig zags as I felt that this promoted a postmodern nature. When asking my peers about their prefered design it was suggested that I should explore multiple patterns using a two tonal system. The main reasoning behind the two tone approach was that although I wanted the design to appear awkward I didn't want it to appear bulky, as the over complicated nature may gain attention rather than that of the awkwardness. Using this as a basis I then decided to explore with pattern further using CAD.


Using multiple patterns a general structure was developed. A variation of line widths were used in order to express diversity, and eliminate any similarities in which the designs may contain. The circular pattern maintained multiple sizes, and widths which in turn allowed the pattern itself to appear unpleasant. The white space possessed within this pattern also appears somewhat unbalanced compared to the tight and impactful nature of the stripes. The zig zags were hand rendered and overlapped one another multiple times, thus in turn creating a contrast to the other CAD produced patterns.  Jointly the patterns appear contradictory to one another, and are poisoned in a manner that communicates an unpolished atmosphere. A black and white approach was taken in order to dilute any impact in which colour may have given, to allow the consumer to purely focus upon the ambience in which they gain from the piece. I also felt that this color scheme would promote modernism in this highly postmodern design.




I explored with typography, choosing fonts in which I felt had no real relevance to that of the patterns, and thus communicating further awkwardness. Personally, I felt that the thinner typeface expressed inflexibility due to the rigid lines present within the type.


In order to convey further rigorosity I reduced the line width so that the type appeared unbalanced to that of the rest of the design. I also positioned the text to the lower of the page, as I felt a central response was far too typical of leaflet design.


No comments:

Post a Comment