Wednesday 10 February 2016

Silhouette


Whilst looking at previous album covers, I came across this C.A.D interpretation of a music classic. The design contains an equal balance between image and type, a factor in which allows it's composition to appear highly effective. As Etta's blonde hair was her testifying against black segregation, I feel that by developing a silhouette of her hair alongside the words 'funky testifying' would create a highly impactful, and contextual piece. 



I began to think about ways in which the image and silhouette could be presented alongside one another. Squeezing type into shape forms was one of the most effective ideas I feel, purely due to the further connotations towards civil rights acts such as the bus boycott.
Firstly, I created the silhouette of Etta's iconic hair in which I then developed my own typeface to fill. A san serif was chosen due to its connotations towards legibility and impact. As the type will be contained within such a tight space, I didn't want a serif type as it may have appeared overwhelming, and difficult to consume.




Colour was then extensively experimented with, involving Etta's iconic blonde hair.  Blues and greens were then added in order to communicate trust, and independence. Two aspects in which were highly important during the civil rights movement.



I then experimented with colour variations in order to derive a 'funky' design. I then took these designs to the intermediate critique in whereby they were discussed. It was then found that the initial design (top left) was much more impactive and suiting towards the context, thus if I were to send this design off, this colour variation would be my initial choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment