Wednesday 10 February 2016

Cad





The above images depict MLK creating a 'human barrier' during the civil rights movement. 





Taking influence from my initial thumbnails, I began to experiment with type. A variation of approaches were explored including kerning and combined typefaces. I felt that the combination of the type worked extremely well, although somewhat illegible. The idea of connecting type originally came to me during the research stage in which I discovered multiple images of human barriers in which consisted of people linking arms with one another. This in turn developing a typeface in which demonstrates unity. When taking this idea to the intermediate crit it was discussed that if I were to compose this design only one word should be connected as otherwise the design appears  illegible.


Firstly, I connected the type so that it would be legible, the most important factor of this design. I then experimented with the arrangement manipulating scale and composition. This process was then completed in order to develop arrangement that in itself looked 'funky'. The typeface used was again a sans serif, as a purely type based piece must be impactful.

Kerning was experimented with, in order to demonstrate different contexts as well as appearing strong aesthetically. I found the second approach to contain both of these elements, as the type appears free yet is still confined, a sentiment in which could be easily applied to that of black people during the time of segregation. 






Again multiple colour variations were explored, thinking strongly about colours in which explore independence and power. The blue was chosen due to its impact, and connotations towards Etta's musical tastes.



Although I feel this approach to be strong I am unsure upon the white background as I feel it expresses too much negative space. Although I wanted the text to appear impactful, I didn't want the design to appear 'washed down' when taking my designs to the final crit I will discuss this further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment