Thursday 18 February 2016

Spray paint




As Etta is an icon I decided that it would be a good starting point to look at other icon artwork. From this exercise I found that 'stars' are often depicted through a silhouette, the above image of the beatles exhbits this. Taking influenece from the above design I began to think about stencils and ways in which they are used, graffiti being one of method. As graffiti is often expressed as rebellion, I felt that this also connected well to Etta's blonde hair during a time of white supremacy, as Etta was seen to be making a stand.


I began to think about ways in which Etta's silhouette may be expressed primarily focusing upon her facial features, specifically her hair. Multiple options and styles were explored, as well as the consideration of colour. 



Using silver as a base colour, I then developed my own spray painted silhouette of Etta. Silver being chosen due to its relationship with fame, and expensive metals. Whilst spray paint being chosen as the medium due to its associations with rebellion, a factor in which Etta's blonde hair was against white supremacy.


To explore the designs potential further, I experimneted with a range of colours, including a yellow, following the idea of Etta's rebelion.
As I am unsure which design has the greater aesthetic I will take these design to the final critique along with some others in order to achieve a knowledge upon what design to submit.

No comments:

Post a Comment