Thursday 10 December 2015

Post modern and Modern concrete poetry


As a study task we were asked to develop two pieces of concrete poetry, one for modernism and the other for postmodernism. To help me in aid of this I decided to research these artistic styles in the form of concrete poetry. 





Firstly I looked at modern concrete poetry and found that the design basically followed an image format that was discussed within the text. This lead me to think about the given text's meaning and how I could resemble it within a modern format. 



Modern:


To allow my approach to follow the same format as modernism but to also differ I decided upon placing the text around an image rather than placing the text within the image. I did this to allow for a cleaner approach. To also comply to the rules of modernism I followed a flush left system when placing my text.





Post Modern:






The above image follows that of a postmodern approach to concrete poetry. The text does not appear in a legible format and is particularly difficult to communicate. The overall aesthetic is messy, the shape of the text is also difficult to recognise as an object.  


Unlike the modern approach to concrete poetry, this approach is much more difficult to recognise as a shape. The text appears at different sizes, and with lines overlapping the text is somewhat illegible. 
The aesthetic is messy, and overall appears similar to that of postmodern design.

No comments:

Post a Comment