Thursday 3 December 2015

Pictograms-Reception







As my initial ideas surrounding reception pictograms focused primarily on phones, I decided to look further at symbols commonly used to display information areas, in order to gather a wide variation of ideas. 


Referring closely to the research, I began to create my own pictograms. I found it difficult to express the meaning of a reception without persuming other roles, examples of this include the 'i' being misinterpreted as an information desk and the phone being confused with a payphone. For this reason these designs have been dropped, although I feel a collaboration of two designs may work. The ideas I felt most passionate about were the desk and man sitting down. It was discussed within the critique that the man sitting down could be misconstrued and that I should make it more obvious about his whereabouts, this being a factor I focused upon when developing my pictograms further.

I experimented with a range of approaches but overall found that the man placed behind the desk worked most successfully. When developing the man's body I used the information sign to aid me. I did this to suggest that the receptions are always there to give friendly advice and information about living at liberty park. I feel that this design would be approachable on multiple platforms and scales, unlike the man at the bench due to the thin lines present within the design, which would become illegible if made any smaller. 

No comments:

Post a Comment