Thursday 3 December 2015

Olympics research

The olympic games is one of the most iconic sporting events held globally, thus it has some of the most prominent graphic design. During this brief it is stated that I must compile a logo for an olympic sport. As I have a previous relationship to gymnastics, as my cousin previously participated in this sport during the 1994 olympics, I have decided to develop my own bespoke logo design for this sport. 




During the olympic games it is iconic to use the 6 rings within the holding countires logo design, ensuring that the olympics ethos is not lost. This olympic logo also takes into consideration the sporting events relationship with the torch of fire, thus adding contextuality towards the design. As this logo was developed during the 2012 Olympics, held within the U.K., the iconic great british flag colours have also been incorporated into its design. 



Not only did I look at previous olympics research but also that involving gymnastics itself. The above woman is clearly depicted taking part in an air kick, an iconic move recognisable to all gymnasts. When developing my own logo design I do not want my image to be specifically directed at any gender as both men and women take part in this iconic game.





The usage of pattern really helps embed characteristics into this design, although effective I do not feel that it would work on multiple scales, due to the pattern becoming misinterpreted. Within the brief it has also been stated that a maximum of two colours should be used, thus I would not be able to demonstrate similar work within my design effectively. 



The above images have been taken from both the London and Rio Olympics. It is clear that within the designs that consistency is apparent, and although depicting different sports they all clearly work as a set. This is definitely a factor I must consider when developing my own logo, as it would work as part of a set.

No comments:

Post a Comment