Monday 7 December 2015

Level development



Taking influence from some designs that promote clarity I began to create sketches focusing upon resembling floor levels. To create a minimal approach whilst doing this I looked closely at primarily using initials and digits. As a younger audience are often recognised for using abbreviations, I felt that doing this was justified. I personally prefered the designs in which involved the 'L' rather than just the '3' as it creates a design much more visually aesthetic. I also particularly liked the designs in which overlapped as when using C.A.D. I would be able to use the opacity tool to create a design that appeared 3D, thus coinciding with the 3D arrow approach. 


The above design depicts a traditional approach to level wayfinding. Again the font Georgia was used to allow for consistency throughout the system, this was also the case with the designs colour scheme. This approach is visually boring due to it consisting of a basic format that is apparent in most wayfinding systems, thus within the next design I will experiment with a less formatic approach.




This approach is very much similar to the previous although within this design the colour scheme has been altered to incorporate another blue hue from the wayfinding map. The '3' has also been adjusted so that it appears much closer to the phrase thus allowing for a compact design. I felt that this was very appropriate as the context would suggest that halls are very compactive as multiple students are living in a close community.
When visiting my initial sketches the idea of overlapping text was very prominent and thus I have experimented with it during this design. As the floor level is the most important factor I have increased its size, so it appears much more impactful compared to the phrase. Negatives surrounding this approach would be that the abbreviated aspect is not included. As I specifically enjoyed the context behind the simplistic nature of initials and numbers I will experiment with this format within the next stages.



I experimented with a variation of approaches, manipulating negative space, layout and opacity. From doing this I discovered that designs that contain a large contrast in colour appear much more effectively than those whose hues are very similar. I also discovered that designs which appear flexible rather than following a tight grid system have a friendlier approach.


Taking influence from my previous designs I correlate the information to create this approach, an clear, contemporary interpretation to a signage system. This approach effectively targets the consumers, and would be legible on multiple scales although primarily being used on a large scale. Taking influence from previous designs I manipulated the colours so that they appear contrasting yet still as a set. The layout is minimal, and as the surface area is compact printing these letters on linal would be cost effective.

When asking my fellow peers about the design some criticisms were made surrounding how the layout would be applied to a double digit number. As I did not consider this when developing my ideas, I feel that this would definitely be an approach I would explore when re-visiting this project.Other comments also suggested that it may be more effective if a lighter colour was used for the '3'to allow for legibility on a smaller scale. As my design will not appear small scale I feel that this comment is irelivent, as the finalised piece will appear at minim 5x the size appropriated here.

No comments:

Post a Comment