Thursday 3 December 2015

Pictograms-Smoking Area







The smoking pictogram is one of the most iconic, being displayed in all public areas of the U.K. Due to this its design is universal, therefore when developing my design I will keep a close relationship to the original, thus stopping confusion for the consumer.



When creating some initial ideas I experimented with shading, scale and shape. I did this in correlation to the target audience, and how they are most likely to perceive cigarettes. As students with iconically no/little income it is an obvious statement that students whom smoke would be more likely to smoke ;roll your own' cigarettes rather than chemical cigarettes, thus I attempted to incorporate this within my design.

When experimenting further with design I found that the square shaped cigarettes appeared much more aggressive than the rounded designs, and although not encouraging smoking, the rounded designs appear much more friendly and correlate to the house style I have attempted to create within the wayfinding. My chosen design was that at the bottom of the selection. I decided upon this design as I felt that it clearly possessed clarity, and expressed a smoking area. I also felt that this design would correlate most effectively with the current wayfinding system.

No comments:

Post a Comment