Tuesday 25 April 2017

To kill a mocking bird-evaluation


When thinking about the concept behind the piece, I believe that there is evident justification for all design decisions made. The illustrative style was developed in order to relate back to book cover deisgn of the 60's, when the book was originally released. As the brief stated to develop a 'classic' cover this then embedded itself within the deisgn. The usage of the tree relates strongly to the plot of the book, as well as previous 'classic' covers. Although this may be a 'stereotypical' approach, I would suggest that the deisgn style of the illustration allows it to stand out. In a result of the feedback gained, I am now unsure upon whether the deisgn will be contemplated by the judges as it would be labelled as 'another tree deisgn'. This will definitely be a factor in which I will consider when developing future book covers, potentially for the same competition next year.

The colour palette used is subtle and neutral, embedding the alabama countryside into the deisgn. I felt this important as the book's location should be visually interpreted. It wa suggested that this may not allow the book cover to stand out on a shelf. Although I understand the viewpoint of this comment, I would suggested that it would stand out, as the deisgn maintains contrast. 

The cut and paste method was said to be effective as this allows this contrast. It also mimics the book's narrative, as it is in perspective of a young girl. As a result this handmade, organic approach feels suiting. 

When thinking about the designs overall appearance, I would suggest that the deisgn appears strong. Although due to the illustrative style, and typography used, it appears somewhat feminine. I strongly belive that the best deisgn does not reflect the designers gender, and thus I feel this to be somewhat limiting. I do myself like the cover though, and will definitely promote it through social medias. 

No comments:

Post a Comment