Thursday 27 April 2017

Project report

When referring back to responsive, it is evident that it is a large module in which contains multiple components. The briefs selected were: Thirsty planet (group collaborative brief), UK greetings, To kill a mockingbird and In cold blood. All the briefs in which were selected were done so in order to further my own personal design skills, as well as relating to design areas in which I would like to explore within the future.

One issue in which arose throughout the projects was the uncertainty of the levels of work in which needed to be completed for the brief variations. Although it was evident that outcomes had to be derived, I felt somewhat unsure upon how much written analysis had to support this.

The mini book cover briefs were developed as day briefs, with direct focus being placed upon them. This was effective, as all ideas were fresh. This also allowed for designs with condense concepts to be derived.

When re-visiting the workings for 'in cold blood' it became evident that  the original design idea was not altered much in order to develop the final outcome. If I were to revisit this design I would definitely aim to complete more development, as I belive the book's design could be pushed further. The reasonings behind why it was not relate largely to that of time management.

As the 'in cold blood' approach did not express my creative skill, I decided to explore further when developing the cover for 'to kill a mockingbird'. My own illustrative style was explored, as I usually do not explore with illustration within my designs. From this the outcome was far greater than I originally intended, with myself personally liking the outcome. My mock up was expressed on social media with positive comments being drawn. I also belive that this piece would be an effective portfolio piece.

The larger brief of UK Greetings was whereby I struggled to grasp a concept. As the brief was very open I initially found it difficult, as a conceptual designer, to develop something so aesthetical. As a result of this I developed my own sub-brief in which highlights cultural bias within card design. From this I was able to conduct my own contextual research in which informed the brief.

As there were multiple components to develop for the brief, I constantly aimed to push the boundaries and develop more designs than mandatorily required. This was in order to allow my efforts to be projected to the judges.

In terms of time management, I felt that the thirsty planet brief was neglected. The designs were developed extensively although relevant feedback wasn't gathered and thus I often found myself making personal judgements. Working as a group found some issues, including that of conflicting ideas surrounding style. When working in the group I always attempted to be as accessible and friendly as possible in order to promote a friendly working atmosphere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment