Tuesday 2 May 2017

What Event?

When thinking about what event in which should be selected I decided that it would be influential to discuss these ideas to my peers. As a result of this I derived the below mind map.





Key ideas included that of:

  • The Kaiser chiefs, there relationship to Leeds, and Leeds college of art. 
  • The opening of woodhouse moor (first public garden in Leeds)
  • Nelson Mandela's opening of millenium square
  • Roundhey Park, key events
  • Hyde park picture house opening (only gas lit cinema in uk)
  • Suffragette movement 

When discussing the ideas collectively it became evident that a vast amount of individuals were thinking of completing a poster design on Woodhouse moor, Roundhey park, and Millenium square. As a result of this I decided that I was to complete a design for an event in which many would not consider. When discussing this further with my peers they suggested that the Kaiser chiefs, Hyde park picture house and the suffragette movement may be strong ideas. 


When thinking about the suffragette movement I felt as if the visual iconography lacked. I also felt that as the majority of my work this year has surrounded females and equality, I should branch out and complete a design upon a different topic area.

Although the Kaiser chiefs are a large band, and I myself am a big fan, I felt as if they are not relevant directly to Leeds, as I did not previously know of their 'birth' before conducting research into Leeds. 

As a result of this I decided to focus directly upon Hyde Park picture house, as it maintains a contextual presence as well as being relevant today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment