Thursday 15 October 2015

Y S P

When starting to create my symbol logo for YSP I focused primarily on shape and colour. My initial idea involved the basic shape of one of Henry Moore's sculptures, I chose this sculpture to mimic the design of due to Henry's work being renown globally and therefore allowing the symbol to be highly recognizable. 

The colour palette I used followed closely to the original in which Henry Moore decided upon when he created the original sculpture. I chose to do this as I wanted to follow the original design closely in order to create a design in which people already have a relationship with. Although I really liked this design I felt that the symbol for YSP should be much more visually impactive and recognizable specifically to the park and not just Moore's work. 
    


In order to involve primary research I then looked closely at the drawings in which I gathered from the sculpture park. I looked closely at the shapes, and colour used. One drawing that really appealed to me was of Barbara Hepworth's , The Family of Man. I was curious what the individual sculptures represented and therefore decided to search for the answer. After viewing many different blogs and artist pages I discovered that each sculpture represented a different family member. The family consists of: a young girl, a youth, a bride, a bridegroom, two parents and two ancestors. I decided to base my design upon the first parent, as the target audience for YSP primarily consists of adults aged 30-60. I came to this conclusion as the vast majority of people at YSP when I visited slotted into this age group.



After creating a C.A.D. version of my illustration, I decided to manipulate my design further, this included creating a more abstract piece. Initially I used lines in order to demonstrate the shape of the statue, I felt this made the sculpture identifiable but this didn't appeal to me personally.


This then lead me to remove the lines and also to manipulate the shapes used within the image. I feel that the symbol would easily coinside with text for YSP, but also work incredibly well on its own as an identifiable symbol. In order for my symbol to be available on multiple platforms I also experiment with colour.



The colours used were taken from other aspects in which inspired me on my visit to YSP. This included 'art makes children powerful', the gallery and the buildings themselves.  






















No comments:

Post a Comment