Friday 13 November 2015

Final Critique

In the final critique of the corresponding typeface, I did not make my given adjective obvious to my peers, therefore asking them what word they perceived the typeface to exhibit. Words that were gained from this exercise included: sharp, humorous, intelligent, structure, and balance. Overall, I was enthusiastic about this response, as words such as sharp, humorous and intelligent are synonyms of the word witty. I was also specifically pleased that the sharp approach to the typeface was evidently displayed through the design.


Secondly, I inquired what format they believed the typeface should be displayed in. It was suggested that the typeface would work efficiently in both body text and large-scale mediums; the serifs direct your eyes though the type. Negatives being that the sharp aspect would be lost if displayed in small scale as the sharp intends are very minimal and therefore only evident in a larger scale.
Improvements towards the typeface were also discussed. I found that many comments involved creating a much more impactive expression of the word. A specific design idea made was to cut part of the letterforms off diagonally to create a sharp edge towards each letterform. I really liked this idea as I had not previously thought of the concept myself.

Overall, I found that the critiques for this studio brief were highly influential in the way I constructed my final design idea. I also felt that they specifically directed me on to certain paths that I would have not personally recognised myself.








No comments:

Post a Comment