Wednesday 4 November 2015

Type Research

As in the critic it was discussed that the sharp aspect of witty should be demonstrated through the type, I began research on said topic. I looked at others personally representation of sharpness throughout typography.



 I like how this typeface expresses thick strokes in correlation to thinner serifs in turn creating a piece of typography that appears strong yet subdued. One component that deteriorates from this effect is the breakage that occurs within the type. I especially feel that the 'M', 'W' and 'Y' are hard to identify for this reason. This text would also only work as display text as in body copy it would appear almost illegible.

The Navia typeface denotes letterforms in which appear in an origami format. As the edges of paper appear sharp, and with reference paper cuts, I feel that this idea is completely intuitive and well designed. Like the previous typeface it could again only be used as a display text as when synchronised into body text it would appear illegible. Also due to its intertextual reference to paper the colour scheme couldn't be altered as all context would be lost.



When studying this typeface the component that initially appealed to me was the sharp edges created at the terminals. The atmosphere surrounding them is clearly razor-sharp, a component that I would like to establish within my typeface. I feel that I could mimic this design idea and create a piece of typography from it that is uniquely modern that expresses my given word, witty.

No comments:

Post a Comment