Thursday 19 October 2017

So how many people are vegan/vegetarians?

The NHS states that more than 1.2 million people in the UK are vegetarian. And a YouGov survey found that 25% of people in Britain have cut back how much meat they eat.



VEGETARIAN YOUTH (8-18) IN THE UNITED STATES


3% Vegetarian (Includes vegans and vegan except honey)
2% One percent vegan, plus one percent vegan except for honey
1% Vegan, except honey (Rounded down to 1%.)
1% Vegan (Rounded up to 1%.)
3% Male Vegetarians
3% Female Vegetarians
2% Female Vegans, and vegan except honey
3% Male Vegans, and vegan except honey 



Summary

From the above statistics it is evident that not all vegans/vegetarians maintain the same ethical code, for example some individuals may be pescatarian, and some vegans may eat honey. This obviously depends upon an individuals relationship with their dietary choice. Just as some non vegans may only eat free range eggs. This can also be applied to beauty products, as some may use products tested on animals, whereas some may not. 

Case study 

As a vegetarian I do not consume any meat/paltry or fish. I also do not eat certain foods that consume animal fat, such as potatoes cooked in goose fat. I do consume gelatine, but only if I 'don't know about it', this also is in limits, so I would eat a sweet with 1% gelatine in it, but would not eat jelly as I have pre conceived ideas surrounding how much gelatine is in it. This being more about the thought of the animal based product. I also try not to use any animal tested products, although I have previously when unaware, this does not apply to medications. I also do not eat eggs unless free range or made by my own chickens. (My relationship with eggs is conflicting as I usually go through phases of not eating them). 

This variety shows that as individuals people have their own perceptions upon what they believe to be ethical eating, and thus this must be considered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment