Saturday 24 September 2016

Manchester libabry-why ive changed my mind on topic area

As my initial concept was to explore the ways in which the industrial revolution changed typography I decided to explore Manchester. With the city's large heritage and reference to the spinning Jenny, I felt that focusing my project around Manchester would be ideal as it was somewhat recognised as the hub of industry at the time. 

When firstly looking around Manchester I photographed slab serifs that appeared dated and other typefaces common of the time. Although I found this contextual, there were no dates upon the typefaces construction and thus I felt this largely dampened my concept as I wanted my future book to appear historically accurate. 

In an attempt to look more accurately at type from the time I decided to visit Manchester Library whereby I looked at documents from that period. This including birth/death certificates alongside an exhibition they are currently holding. I found the certificates to be formed from calligraphy, most likely by the vicar at the time. This being an important factor within family history as it often occurred that the vicar spelt the name of the individual's wrong as they themselves were unable to write. I also found many of the certificates in Latin, a norm at the time.
After taking imagery of multiple documents and the exhibition, I found the photographs to appear very limited. As they all follow the same format, being printed upon paper. I felt that this lacked my vision from my original concept of photographing a variation of mediums. Due to this I decided that one of my other concepts would be far more visually pleasing to that of the target audience. After re-visiting my mindmaps I decided to explore the idea of 'type within an urban location'.









No comments:

Post a Comment